JOB TITLE: Medical Social Services Worker
I. POSITION SUMMARY:
Responsible for providing social services and discharge planning functions
for the Hospital. The Social Worker provides resources for in-patients,
out-patients, Emergency Department patients, and support to the skilled
unit designee when needed. Responsible for consultation and direction
of social services in the acute care and Swing bed unit. Develops, organizes
and implements programs, policies and procedures, conducts case work services,
and recommends functions to ensure overall operational viability. Maintains
performance improvement activities within the department and participates
in CQI activities. Serves on appropriate hospital and community committees.
Promotes the hospital’s culture of excellence.
• Education: BSW graduate from an accredited School of Social Work
• Experience: 3 or more years of previous experience in a health care
setting and discharge planning.
III. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Responsible for performing psychosocial assessments on Medicare,
Medicaid and high risk patient to determine social service and discharge
planning needs; always documents assessments, and communicates with physicians
the social services and discharge planning needs.
• Communicates with patients, family members, and caretakers the needs
of the patient anticipated plans. Treats patients and families in a professional
manner with dignity and
respect, and involves patient/family in the formation of the discharge plan.
• Maintains current knowledge of resources available within the community,
maintains supply of resource materials to be distributed to patient/families
when needed. Is able to obtain other resources as needed.
• Collaborates with the Interdisciplinary discharge planning team,
Case Managers and Utilization Review for optimum post-discharge services.
Attends quarterly MR-UR committee meetings. Maintains an effective working
relationship with appropriate departments to provide an exceptional patient
• Demonstrates adherence to the laws and regulations passed by official
regulating bodies, general principles of ethical conduct and internal
policies and procedures.
Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.